„Current transformation of the Global Order represents a huge challenge which democratic countries must cope with. At the same time, however, it is a new opportunity for creative democratic and liberal spirit”.
The discussions at the 23rd Forum 2000 Conference „Recovering the Promise of 1989“ were fruitful. Summarizing the meeting outcomes, we have identified five main focal areas, in which there was a broad consensus on both diagnosis and possible ways forward - „The 5 Big Ideas“:
- We are committed to the legacy of 1989.
- The world order is changing and the democratic countries must cope with it.
- There is a need for global alliance of democracies.
- New technologies represent opportunities but also serious threats to democracy.
- Climate change and environmental challenges call for global cooperation.
„Democracy is constant struggle, democracy must be conquered, democracy must be defended and democracy must be built day by day”.
Maia Sandu, Former Prime Minister, Moldova
Please, find the whole document with more detailed descripiton and quotations here.